What Causes Childhood Obesity in Children?
Obesity has become a global epidemic now days and sadly it is not only limited to adults but more and more children are following prey to it. Earlier time the more chubby the child was considered as a sign of health but now it is realized that being overweight is not good for health.
What is obesity?
Obesity is having excess of unwanted body fat. It is measured on the basis of Body Mass Index (BMI) which is Weight (Kg)/Height 2(meters). For children and adolescents BMI percentile is calculated, those above 95th percentile are considered as obese.
What are the causes for Obesity?
Though in some cases obesity could be due to genetic factors but in modern times the life style has been the most important contributor. Many schools do not have play ground or have dedicated time for physical exercise. Children juggling between school and tuition hardly get time to play. Many a time Children leave to school without breakfast just having milk due to lack of time. Besides that indulging on fast and junk foods, increase intake of processed food, aerated drinks, spending time on tab/mobile/laptop instead of playing physically has contributed to growing incidence of obesity among children. Besides these certain hormonal problems like Hypothyroidism and Cushing’s syndrome can also cause obesity.
What are the effects of Obesity?
Studies have shown that obesity can lead to severe health problems even in children besides the psychological effects like depression, and low self esteem, Diabetes, hypertension, fatty liver, heart problems, precocious puberty and hormonal problems.
Homeopathy Treatment for Obesity:
To reduce weight diet and exercise play an important role. Besides these, homeopathy with its constitutional treatment can improve the rate of metabolism; correct the hormonal imbalances and other effects of obesity. Some of the common medications for child obesity are:
- Crud– Children who like to eat beyond their capacity. They keep on munching something or other. Bowels not regular, alternate constipation and diarrhea. Stubborn, peevish children.
- Baryta Carb– Usually dwarfish (short height) and shy child with enlarged tonsils. Children who have voracious appetite but poor assimilation.
- Calcarea Carb– Children disposed to grow fat, corpulent and unwieldy. They have a tendency to have more fat around the abdomen and are prone to profuse perspiration especially back of head and neck. They have a great desire for eggs.
- Capsicum-Children who are plump and round with rosy cheeks but have little endurance. Slow, sluggish children prone to violent temper outbursts.
- Ferrum-Pale, delicate children with false plethora. Canine hunger. Gets anger on least contradiction.
- Graphitis– Obese, flatulent children with dry skin. There is constant desire to sleep. Ravenous appetite. Children who tend to gain weight because of depression.
- Natrum Mur- A sensitive child. Thin, long neck with fat body. Children who suffer from frequent headaches.
- Phytolacca- also known as homeopathy fat burner. One of the well known remedy for obesity by increasing the basal metabolic rate.
- Pulsatilla- mild, gentle, sensitive children. Children are generally affectionate and of good disposition. They crave of rich, fatty foods like cake, pasties etc
- Thuja: well suited to overweight, flabby children with perspiration on single parts. Children who are prone to develop warts.
- Thyroidinum- obesity due to hypothyroidism. They get tired easily and always want to lie down. Craves for sugar and cold water.