Symptoms of Thyroid Problems in Females?
Hypothyroidism is the condition in which there is deficiency of thyroid hormones in the body. Hypo means under or below or less. Thyroid hormones play a vital role in metabolism, of Brain, heart, liver and reproductive health and fertility.
There are two types of hypothyroidism:
- Primary hypothyroidism– when your thyroid gland become diseased and cannot produce sufficient hormones
- Secondary hypothyroidism-when your pituitary gland is not stimulating your thyroid to produce enough hormones
Regulation of Thyroid Gland:
The thyroid gland is regulated by the pituitary gland. When the levels of the thyroid hormones T3 and T4 fall, the pituitary gland increases the production of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). This TSH then stimulates the thyroid gland to produce more T3 and T4. This way the balance of thyroid hormones is maintained in the body.
CAUSES OF HYPOTHYROIDISM:
- Iodine low in diet
- Autoimmune disease- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis- when your body produces antibodies that attack your own tissues
- Treatment for hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid surgery
- Radiation therapy for cancers
- Pituitary disorder
- Viral infections or other respiratory problems
- Congenital hypothyroid condition
- Certain drugs-Some medicines having lithium used for psychiatric problems, medicines used for hyperthyroidism, heart problems cause hypothyroidism
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS:
Hypothyroidism develops gradually and slows down your metabolism
The symptoms range from mild to severe:
- fatigue, weakness,
- obesity or weight gain,
- dryness and paleness of skin,
- hair loss,
- intolerance to cold ,
- disturbed menstrual cycle, (scanty or profuse),
- decreased libido( little desire for the sexual drive)
- Puffy face,
- elevated blood cholesterol level,
- muscle aches, tenderness, and stiffness,
- slowed heart rate,
- impaired memory,
HYPOTHYROIDISM IN INFANTS:
Although hypothyroidism affects middle-aged, in some cases infants are also affected when the baby is born without the thyroid gland or lees functioning thyroid gland.
The signs and symptoms include:
- frequent choking,
- a large protruding tongue,
- puffy face,
- mental retardation
HYPOTHYROIDISM IN CHILDREN AND TEENS
- Poor growth, resulting in short stature
- Delayed development of permanent teeth,
- Delayed puberty
- Poor mental development
- heart problems
- mental issues
- peripheral neuropathy
- birth defects,
Homeopathic Treatment For Hypothyroidism:
Homeopathy medicines are safe, natural and help to improve the functioning of thyroid gland. Medications are selected based on the constitution of the patient which is elicited by a detailed case taking which includes symptoms narrated by the patient, his physical and mental makeup, likes, dislikes, dreams, emotional status, family and past history etc. Thus selected similimum helps to correct the hormonal imbalance in the body.
Some important Homeopathic medicines are:
- Graphitis-useful for obese persons with skin problems. They are usually timid, weepy, sensitive anxious and indecisive. They have a tendency to take cold easily and suffer from constipation.
- Natrum muriaticum– very useful remedy for reserved, sensitive, and sorrowful, having headache, who usually crave salt. They can develop either over or underactive thyroid.
- Baryta carb-is suited to shy persons, shy of strangers, loss of memory, idiocy, childish and thoughtless behavior. Chilly patient. Suitable for hypothyroidism in children.
- Conium maculatum – suited to old maids and bachelors. Weak memory, slow in grasping, difficulty in understanding. Menses too late, irregular and scanty.
- Sepia Officinalis-adapted to weak persons, irritable, have saddle across the nose, faint easily from least exertion and on exposure to excessive cold temperatures. They have indifferent behavior towards family members, craves for acids and pickles, loss of sexual drive and hair fall.
- Lycopodium– persons having gastric disturbances with hypothyroidism. Weak digestion with excessive accumulation of gas and bloating in the abdomen, especially after taking food. They have a marked craving for sweets and prefer hot food and drinks. It is indicated to persons who are irritable and angry, cannot bear the least contradiction. Low sex drive , had hair loss
- Nux vomica– suited to very irritable persons, excessive desire for alcoholic drinks and coffee, fatty and spicy food. Patients are chilly. Menses too late, last too long, always irregular and black.
- Calcarea carbonica– indicated for fat flabby, chubby, fair persons, who are chilly and cannot tolerate cold air. Excessive sweat. Craving for boiled eggs menses profuse and continues for the long duration.